Starlight: Sprint 4 (March 25-April 5, 2019)
What was the goal of Sprint 4?
Get the Starlight code deployed to our both campus staging servers and UCSB production servers, testing new features in staging environment, theming, and setting up Shibboleth.
What is the milestone that this sprint is supporting?
Milestone 1 is to have an initial instance of the Spotlight platform in production for both campuses.
Accomplishments of Sprint 4:
- Successful deployment to staging environment for UCSB using database authentication
- Configuration for deployments was consolidated into environment variables. This was successfully used by UCSB with their staging deployment.
- Updated to the latest versions of Spotlight and RIIIF. This includes a fix by Alex[1,2] that supports displaying PDF image derivatives in the Spotlight user interface.
- Development of an initial strategy for custom global Spotlight themes. This work is being submitted upstream to Spotlight.
Testing of new features on UCSB staging:
- Confirmed support for batch ingest from a local Library server
- Confirmed users can upload PDFs in the ‘add items’ screen
- Confirmed users can upload PDFs during batch upload
- Confirmed that PDFs display correctly in main object view
- Confirmed that PDF derivatives images are created
- Confirmed that PDF derivatives function appropriately in widgets
- Updated Rails to the latest version to address several security vulnerabilities
- Spotlight community conversation at LDCX
- Community Roadmap: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K154p9sv6QfXCvu2C6Tj8hmRmUsa6pH456gst1if1M0/edit#gid=0
Did we do everything we set out to accomplish?
So close! Starlight code has been successfully deployed to UCSB servers, but without Shibboleth. UCSD is so, so close to deploying to their staging site with Shibboleth. We were able to successfully test out the new features in the staging environment, which allowed us to continue to refine how these features work. This was especially important in the context of determining how themes work in the default Spotlight environment.
GitLab link: https://gitlab.com/surfliner/surfliner/-/milestones/11